Monday, April 30, 2012

Kalevet (Rabies)


(THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!)
I just finished watching this film.  I wasn't in a hurry to see this one because its trailer doesn't really present it as anything special.  I figured it was about a group of young people who take a road trip, get stuck in the woods, run into a dog with rabies, someone gets bitten, and eventually everyone dies in horrible, somewhat creative ways.

It turns out the movie is about a group of young people who take a road trip and get stuck in the woods, and people do die horribly, but instead of rabies, we get just another serial killer in coveralls.  Ten minutes into the film I was hoping I wasn't wasting an hour and a half of my time.  I get about three hours every night after my kids go to bed to enjoy myself and relax before I too have to hit the hay.  That's not a lot of time to read comics, listen to records, and watch movies, so I have to be choosy.  If I forgo the comic reading to watch a movie, then it'd better damn well change my life, or at least entertain me.  Sorry, I digress.

After the introduction of some characters and some clever banter between the group of teenagers, we get to meet our killer struggling with his first victim.  At this time, my girlfriend gets up and says, "I don't like these kind of movies," gives me a kiss, and goes to bed.  Already sure of myself as to what I'm in for, I consider taking out the DVD.  But just then a dog shows up--one that the viewer has already met, which I presumed to be the rabies carrier--causing a distraction for the victim to get away.  And this is the crazy part: the dog ends up being the killer's only victim.  After this scene, the killer is pretty much taken out of the movie, which leaves several well developed characters to kill off each other, accidentally or otherwise.  I warned you of spoilers, but I'm really not giving away too much.  One set of events sets off another, bringing more characters into the scenario, each with his or her own issues and personal problems, and that's where the real horror lies.

Ruminating now I'm reminded of that movie Crash (2004), where all the characters' lives are intertwined and affected by each other's attitudes and actions, except Rabies is no Hollywood drama.  This beast is a horror movie and it was filmed in Israel.  If this is how directors in Israel make their slasher films, then keep 'em coming.

Anyway, I'm out of time.  If I'm going to get up in the morning with the little ones I've got to turn in.  Check out Rabies, written and directed by Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado.  You'll be pleasantly surprised and glad you did...unless you're stupid.


4 comments:

  1. I had this movie on my radar for a while, then I completely forgot about it. The way you describe it kind of reminds me of Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, except without being funny. I'll definitely see it when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucker and Dale did cross my mind while watching Rabies, but they're so different. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super excited about this one! You haven't failed me yet. As you see, I also have only about three hours of optimal and quality do-whatever-I-mother-effin'-want time before I absolutely have to go to sleep if I want to actually function morrow time. It is in those brief hours that I must fit in all the gore, comics, intense crafting and darn near anything else the babies shouldn't partake upon. It's a delicate balance between that and the other part of my life as a stay at home mom that is cuter than a kitten riding a unicorn. This, naturally, means I need to know the movies that aren't a total waste of my time. And, this is why I adore this blog. You never fail to entertain me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough being a stay at home parent sometimes, and that alone time at the end of the night is important. I'm glad you keep coming back to check out the posts. Go rent the movie; tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete