Friday, June 29, 2012

MARTYRS (2008)

I watched Pascal Laugier's Martyrs (2008) last night around midnight.  I viewed this one a few years ago.  I don't remember what I thought about it at the time (maybe disappointment due to not getting what I had expected), but it's sure fucking with my head now.  Even while I'm writing this post I'm thinking to myself how pointless everything is.  Why am I doing this?  Why do I do anything?  I can't talk.  Everything has just stopped. I feel like praying, but I have nothing to say.  And to whom would I pray?  Who would be listening?  When a movie has the ability to mesmerize or trap someone inside his mind, that movie surpasses entertainment.  I don't know how anyone could find this film entertaining anyway.  I didn't.  It bothers me.  It takes me away from my blessed life.  If only for a moment I realize how pointless I am.  I didn't exist then, and I won't exist soon.  I'm here for this blink and that is all.

This has been my second viewing of Martyrs, and knowing what to expect this time around, it has had a much deeper impact than when I watched it a few years back.  If you care to give it a shot, I suggest watching it alone, putting it away for a month or two, and then watching it again.  I feel like this film has just ripped apart my insides.  It has taken my mind to a state in which I have trouble articulating through writing.  Maybe it's just me.  You'll probably hate it.  As repulsive the imagery in this film is, it has permanently affected me.  It has accomplished its task.  It has succeeded in its purpose.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment