Tuesday, June 26, 2012

It Conquered the World

This obscure 1957 Roger Corman flick has been under my radar for some time now, but I still haven't had the pleasure of experiencing its glory.  I've seen parts of its end via the movie Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1987) and have viewed its trailer several times.  I've seen photos and read its synopsis, but continue to wait for an official DVD/Blu-Ray release.  Lately Shout Factory has been giving special treatments to old Corman movies and I'm crossing my fingers in hopes they'll get to this one.  I'm not thrilled about paying over $20 for a bootleg, but I feel myself slowly breaking down and fear I may soon give in.  If there is anybody out there willing to send me a copy, I'll return the favor with a print of the title's Venusian creature that I illustrated a few years back along with a set of my 1950s movie monster buttons.  That's a fair trade, right?


Regardless of having never seen the film, it's hard to ignore Paul Blaisdell's unique and very silly vision of what a creature from Venus might look like.  In the photos above is my rendition of his creation, made from polymer clay.  I finished it just days ago.
Here's my first homage to Beulah through watercolor back when I had first read about the movie in the pages of David Earl Worth's very informative Sleaze Creatures (1995).

SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment